Sports pitches, an indoor sports centre and a private golf club
Remnants of the historic Belhus Estate
Belhus Park is a remnant of an important 18th century landscape park. The Belhus Park house no longer exists, but was on what is now the Belhus Park Golf Club.
In the 18th century, Belhus Park was remodelled by famous landscape designer Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown. It was also improved by lesser known 18th century landscape architect Richard Woods, who created the Long Pond by adapting an existing canal. Be sure to look out for the Tudor-style ‘stench pipe’ at the northern tip of the Long Pond. It was a vent from Belhus House’s sewerage system and was disguised to look like an old chimney.
Belhus House was requisitioned for the war effort during the Second World War, and was damaged by the troops. The house was demolished in 1957 as the owners could not repair the damage done.
Essex County Council bought Belhus Park for recreational use.
Land of the Fanns Teacher Briefing
Some sites have a Teacher Briefing available at the top of the page, but the following download is a general Teacher Briefing for The Land of the Fanns. We recommend you download this briefing before visiting any of the sites listed on this resource.