Local Heritage Centre dedicated to the remembrance and commemoration of Hornchurch Aerodrome and its personnel.
Run by volunteers and trustees as a Registered Charity (Hornchurch Aerodrome Historical Trust).
Covers history of the aerodrome from 1915 to its closure in 1962 including its critical role in the Battle of Britain.
Opening in 2021. Schools welcomed. Please contact us to arrange a visit.
Suttons House was originally two staff cottages for Suttons Institute, which was opened in September 1938. The two houses were then used by RAF Hornchurch from September 1939 until 1946, although at present it is unclear what role the houses played during the war. After the RAF departed, the houses became part of the St Georges Hospital site from 1948 and were finally used by the NHS as a mental health building until its closure in around 2013.
Land of the Fanns Teacher Briefing
Some sites have a Teacher Briefing available at the top of the page, but the following download is a general Teacher Briefing for The Land of the Fanns. We recommend you download this briefing before visiting any of the sites listed on this resource.