Gardens surrounded by a fine old red brick wall with lawn, kitchen garden, flower borders, fruit trees.
One of the best examples of an early 18th century merchant’s home
Nearly 50 different families and inhabitants have resided at Rainham Hall, including merchants, artists, vicars and architectural historians, each leaving their stamp
Rainham Hall was built in 1729 by sea merchant Captain John Harle, the Hall has since been home to nearly 50 different sets of inhabitants, many making small changes.
In 1917, Rainham Hall was purchased by art historian and property developer Colonel Herbert Hall Mulliner. He never lived there, but carried out some restoration works.
Rainham Hall was requisitioned as a nursery for local children during the Second World War.
In 1949 the National Trust acquired the Hall in place of death duties. The gardens became increasingly neglected and overgrown but a major conservation project was completed in 2015, finally allowing full public access.
Land of the Fanns Teacher Briefing
Some sites have a Teacher Briefing available at the top of the page, but the following download is a general Teacher Briefing for The Land of the Fanns. We recommend you download this briefing before visiting any of the sites listed on this resource.