The Upminster Tithe Barn holds 14,500 domestic and agricultural artefacts dating from Roman times to the present day
The thatched building the museum is located in dates from the 15th century
The Barn dates from 1450 and was part of an estate that supported the Abbey of Waltham. The Abbott’s hunting lodge next door was later converted into a private house and is now home to Upminster Golf Club.
Despite being known as the ‘Tithe Barn’, there is no evidence to suggest it was ever used for the collection of tithes .
The Tithe Barn stands 18 metres wide by 12 metres high and 45 metres long.
It wasn’t until 1976 that the Barn was refurbished and then opened as an agricultural museum
Land of the Fanns Teacher Briefing
Some sites have a Teacher Briefing available at the top of the page, but the following download is a general Teacher Briefing for The Land of the Fanns. We recommend you download this briefing before visiting any of the sites listed on this resource.